Ramblings of an amateur enthusiast

A collection of recipes from all over the place jumbled together in one place

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Jewel-Tone Pancakes with Creamy Yogurt-Dill Sauce

Yogurt-Dill Sauce
  • 6 oz. plain nonfat Greek yogurt
  • 2 Tbs. chopped fresh dill
  • 2 Tbs. lemon juice
  • 1 small clove garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Pancakes

  • 3 medium beets (1 lb.), trimmed and scrubbed
  • 2 medium carrots (6 oz.)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 large egg plus 2 large egg whites, beaten

DIRECTIONS

1. To make Yogurt-Dill Sauce: Whisk together yogurt, dill, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper in small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use, up to 3 days.

2. To make Pancakes: Preheat oven to 250°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray, and set aside. Shred beets and carrots in food processor fitted with grating blade, or grate with box grater. Place beet-carrot mixture in large bowl, and toss with garlic and salt. Add egg and egg whites, and mix well.

3. Lightly spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat. Drop 1/4 cup beet mixture into skillet, and flatten slightly to form 3-inch-diameter pancake. Repeat, forming 3 other pancakes in pan. Cook 4 minutes, or until undersides are golden brown. Flip pancakes, and cook 3 minutes more. Respray pan, and repeat process with remaining batter, keeping prepared pancakes warm in oven. Drizzle with Yogurt-Dill Sauce, and serve immediately.

Serves 8
Serving: 1 pancake and 2 Tbs. sauce
Calories: 44
Fat: 1g
Protein: 4g
Carbs: 6g

** (Star-rating out of 5)

I have never really eaten or cooked with beets before so I've been trying out different recipes with beets trying to decide if I like them. I wasn't too crazy about these. They smelled really good and, truth be told, I didn't hate them but I definitely put less than the 2 tablespoons of dill sauce on them. I like dill, but this was really dill-y. Surprisingly my co-workers really liked theses and I was able to get rid of the rest of them. A few asked for the recipe which is I why I'm posting it here even though I probably wouldn't make them again. I'll have to keep trying out the beet-thing until I find one I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment